About Costa Blanca
It’s around a two-and-a-half-hour stint to take a direct flight to the Costa Blanca from a London airport like Luton or Gatwick. A northern take-off point – such as Doncaster Sheffield and Glasgow – adds on an extra 30 minutes. Once you touch down on the ‘White Coast’, you’ve got over 200 kilometres of first-class Spanish coastline to choose from. The star of the show in these parts is Alicante. Lining up a hilltop castle, a palm tree-lined esplanade and a stylish marina, this dynamic port city’s been topping travel lists for years. Plus, it’s got a dining scene to be reckoned with, so foodies will be in their element. For a tried-and-tested holiday hotspot, Benidorm’s a firm favourite. Thanks to its white-sand beaches, cheap eats, happy hour deals, super club-packed night scene and clutch of theme park-heavy suburbs, this town’s got plenty of experience under its belt – nearly six decades, in fact. For more low-key getaways, the petite terracotta-tipped towns of Altea and Albir are just around the corner. In these parts, tucking into squid ink paella in traditional tapas bars and exploring the coastline’s quiet coves is the order of the day. Elsewhere, the charm-filled boltholes of Denia, Javea and Moraira come complete with mountain views, caramel-sand beaches and flamenco bars as standard. And, it’s only a short daytrip up to Valencia, Spain’s third-largest city.
- Laze sunny-side up on the Blue Flag beaches in Benidorm. There are two to choose from - family-friendly Playa de Levante and the slightly quieter Poniente.
- Splash some cash in the area around Avenida de Maisonnave in Alicante. It’s a shopper’s paradise with designer names and Spanish favourites, like department store El Corte Inglés.
- Tuck into paella. The rice-based favourite was invented in these parts, so there’s every opportunity to try the local speciality.
- Dance the night away at the KM Disco in Benidorm. It’s a club of the super variety, with the likes of Judge Jules manning the decks in summer.
- Hold on to your hats at the biggest theme park in Spain, Terra Mitica. It’s got go-fasts galore, including Tizona, a ride that reaches 62 miles per hour and heights of over 100 feet.